Project

General

Profile

Emulator Issues #10469

After changing from D3D11 backend to OpenGL or Vulkan, image shown is the last static screen from D3D11

Added by markk almost 2 years ago. Updated almost 2 years ago.

Status:
Accepted
Priority:
High
Assignee:
% Done:

0%

Operating system:
N/A
Issue type:
Bug
Milestone:
Current
Regression:
Yes
Relates to usability:
No
Relates to performance:
No
Easy:
No
Relates to maintainability:
No
Regression start:
Fixed in:

Description

This issue doesn't seem to be game-specific. I first noticed it playing Twilight Princess, but another game I checked at random (Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy) shows it too.

Game Name?
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
GZ2E01
MD5: 41deff9b1fd2831f48fbfa2dd1054e4d

What's the problem? Describe what went wrong.
After selecting D3D11 backend and starting emulation, if you then stop emulation, change backend to OpenGL or Vulkan and load the game again, the image shown is the last static D3D11 image.

What steps will reproduce the problem?
I have render to main window checked, but I think the problem happens in full-screen mode too. Start emulation using D3D11 backend. (Maybe save state here.) Press Esc to stop emulation. Open graphics settings and change backend to OpenGL or Vulkan. Start game again, load state. The display shows the static old D3D11 image,

It is important to make sure the bug hasn't already been fixed. Please tell us what the latest version you've verified the bug on.
5.0-5152

Is the issue present in the latest stable version?
No, it doesn't happen with Dolphin 5.0 as far as I could tell.

If the issue isn't present in the latest stable version, which is the first broken version? (You can find the first broken version by bisecting. Windows users can use the tool https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-green-notice-development-thread-unofficial-dolphin-bisection-tool-for-finding-broken-builds and anyone who is building Dolphin on their own can use git bisect.)

I didn't completely bisect but tested with builds from the web site. No problem with 5.0-4647, problem occurs with 5.0-4657.

What are your PC specifications? (CPU, GPU, Operating System, more)
Xeon E5-1620v3, Windows 10 1703 x64. AMD FirePro W5100 with driver 17.8 beta (Driver Packaging Version 17.10.1730.1012-170804a-316850E-CrimsonReLive).

History

#1 Updated by JMC4789 almost 2 years ago

Does this happen with RealXFB?

#2 Updated by markk almost 2 years ago

JMC4789 wrote:

Does this happen with RealXFB?

Yes.

The commit between 5.0-4647 and 5.0-4657 which probably introduced this issue is:
Merge pull request #5697 from Armada651/quad-buffer
Implement Quad-Buffered stereoscopy support

#3 Updated by JMC4789 almost 2 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Accepted
  • Assignee set to Armada

Honestly, when switching to SW renderer, the last frame has been rendered from the other backends for as long as I remember.

This is a bug I guess, but it's not a serious bug afaict? Unless the screen never updates... then that's a problem.

#4 Updated by markk almost 2 years ago

JMC4789 wrote:

Honestly, when switching to SW renderer, the last frame has been rendered from the other backends for as long as I remember.

This is a bug I guess, but it's not a serious bug afaict? Unless the screen never updates... then that's a problem.

That's the problem, the image remains static showing the last frame from the D3D backend. The emulation runs (you can hear sound effects), but the image remains static. This isn't specifically to do with switching to the software renderer. It happens after changing from D3D11 to any other renderer.

#5 Updated by JMC4789 almost 2 years ago

  • Priority changed from Normal to High
  • Milestone set to Current
  • Regression changed from No to Yes

Alright, I misunderstood.

There's an ancient bug that on startup, before a game starts rendering, the last frame of the game you were just playing will replace a blackscreen. Sorry about that.

Also available in: Atom PDF