Emulator Issues #11464
Immediately Present XFB + Toggle Load Custom Textures Freeze
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
Game ID? (right click the game in the game list, properties, info tab)
MD5 Hash? (right click the game in the game list, properties, info tab, MD5 Hash: Compute)
What's the problem? Describe what went wrong.
So I found another issue.
When running The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (D43E01) the game will completely freeze when enabling Load Custom Textures ingame if Immediately Present XFB is already enabled. Toggling the Load Custom Textures option will not freeze the game if Immediately Present XFB is not enabled. Enabling Load Custom Textures does not cause a freeze if you are in the pause menu, but as soon you exit the pause menu and go into gameplay again the game freezes. Disabling Load Custom Textures never causes a freeze. The game does not freeze if both Immediately Present XFB and Load Custom Textures were enabled prior to booting the game (custom textures load in perfectly).
If you are encountering a freeze, you can still control Dolphin itself. Only the game freezes, not Dolphin itself. You can actually load an earlier save state to get rid of the freeze. You can also of course open the settings or stop emulating the game. But once the game freezes, you can not unfreeze it by disabling Immediately Present XFB.
Of course, the issue only occurs if the texture pack for the game is being used and loaded. Prefetch Textures was disabled.
- The DDS BC7 texture pack was used of the Zelda: Collector's Edition HD Texture Pack. Preliminary V2.6 (V2.5 and earlier versions have the same issue).
- Prefetch textures were disabled. Doesn't matter if enabled.
- Cheats were disabled.
- The backend does not matter, tested with Vulkan, OpenGL and D3D11.
- No save states were issued to trigger the issue.
- Tested with default graphic settings, except for Immediately Present XFB of course (which is being enabled).
The game only requires Immediately Present XFB to fix a visual issue that only occurs during the booting of either Ocarina of Time (Normal Quest) or Master Quest (the disc contains two versions of Ocarina of Time). Without Immediately Present XFB enabled you would see a pink loading screen for a few seconds. The game never needs Immediately Present XFB afterwards during the game.
In addition with some further testing, the same issue also occurs if Prefetch Custom Textures is disabled during gameplay while Load Custom Textures and Immediately Present XFB were already enabled.
What steps will reproduce the problem?
- Download the Zelda: Collector's Edition HD Texture Pack, rename it D43 and place it in the folder for loading custom textures.
- Open Dolphin.
- Enable Immediately Present XFB and disable Load Custom Textures.
- Load The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest.
- Select your game version. Doesn't matter really. The issue occurs in both Ocarina of Time (Normal Quest) and Master Quest.
- Go to the File Select Menu and select a file.
- Make sure you are in control of Link. If it is a new file you should preferable wait until Link is in control.
- Open the Graphics Config menu, go to the Advanced tab and enable Load Custom Textures.
- Watch the game freeze, through Dolphin itself is still in control.
1. Redo steps 1-2.
3. Enable Immediately Present XFB, enable Load Custom Textures and Prefetch Custom Textures instead.
4. Redo steps 4-7.
8. Open the Graphics Config menu, go the the Advanced tab and disable Prefetch Custom Textures instead.
9. Watch the game freeze, through Dolphin itself is still in control.
Is the issue present in the latest development version? For future reference, please also write down the version number of the latest development version.
Is the issue present in the latest stable version?
No. Dolphin 5.0 did not support Hybrid XFB yet (and in specific Immediately Present XFB).
If the issue isn't present in the latest stable version, which is the first broken version? (You can find the first broken version by bisecting. Windows users can use the tool https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-green-notice-development-thread-unofficial-dolphin-bisection-tool-for-finding-broken-builds and anyone who is building Dolphin on their own can use git bisect.)
5.0-6568 refers to -> Config: Set bMMU to true by default on x64
If your issue is a graphical issue, please attach screenshots and record a three frame fifolog of the issue if possible. Screenshots showing what it is supposed to look like from either console or older builds of Dolphin will help too. For more information on how to use the fifoplayer, please check here: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=FifoPlayer
[Attach any fifologs if possible, write a description of fifologs and screenshots here to assist people unfamiliar with the game.]
What are your PC specifications? (CPU, GPU, Operating System, more)
Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i5-8600k 3.6 GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, 8 GB VRAM
32 GB RAM, DDR4, 2400 MHz
Xbox One Wireless Controller (V3) with Wireless Windows Adapter, Keyboard & Mouse
Is there anything else that can help developers narrow down the issue? (e.g. logs, screenshots,
configuration files, savefiles, savestates)
Download and use the texture pack for The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. The Texture pack thread on the forums is found at: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-zelda-collector-s-edition-hd-texture-pack-v2-1-2018-03-27. The download link is found at: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-zelda-collector-s-edition-hd-texture-pack-v2-1-2018-03-27?pid=483087#pid483087