Emulator Issues #11599
Emulation can't be stopped while shaders are compiling
Dolphin 5.0-9697, Windows 10
Steps to reproduce:
1. Ensure "Compile Shaders Before Starting" is checked in the Graphics settings
2. Start a game
3. While the shaders are still compiling, try to end emulation either by clicking X or Stop in the main window toolbar.
4. Click Yes on the confirmation dialog
5. Shader compilation will continue and Dolphin stops responding. It can only be closed via Task Manager.
6. After shader compilation is completed, the emulation will end and Dolphin will behave normally again.
Because shader compilation is a minutes-long process, ideally trying to end emulation during this time would simply cancel shader compilation and end emulation.
#1 Updated by Stenzek about 2 years ago
Doing this would require restructuring how the emulator boots. The shader compilation is part of the backend initialization, which must finish before the core is running, which prevents it from being stopped. Not saying it can't happen, but it's not a straightforward change.