Project

General

Profile

Emulator Issues #11709

Hunter: The Reckoning has strange slowdown after 5.0-9869

Added by SilentHell about 1 year ago. Updated about 1 year ago.

Status:
Questionable
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
% Done:

0%

Operating system:
N/A
Issue type:
Bug
Milestone:
Regression:
No
Relates to usability:
No
Relates to performance:
No
Easy:
No
Relates to maintainability:
No
Regression start:
Fixed in:

Description

Game Name?

Hunter: The Reckoning

Game ID? (right click the game in the game list, Properties, Info tab)

GHNE71

MD5 Hash? (right click the game in the game list, Properties, Verify tab, Verify Integrity button)

29b2760cdc12720840d031ac5a9ab202

What's the problem? Describe what went wrong.

The game drops in performance to around 70-80% max speed when the camera pans low to show more of the level.

What steps will reproduce the problem?

Start a new game and simply head toward the train engineer, the camera should pan low and cause slowdown. This occurs on all backends.

Is the issue present in the latest development version? For future reference, please also write down the version number of the latest development version.

5.0-10127

Is the issue present in the latest stable version?

No.

If the issue isn't present in the latest stable version, which is the first broken version? (You can find the first broken version by bisecting. Windows users can use the tool https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-green-notice-development-thread-unofficial-dolphin-bisection-tool-for-finding-broken-builds and anyone who is building Dolphin on their own can use git bisect.)

5.0-9869

What are your PC specifications? (CPU, GPU, Operating System, more)

            Operating System
        Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
        AMD Ryzen 5 1600
        14nm Technology
    RAM
        16.0GB Dual-Channel Vengeance RGB PRO @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
    Motherboard
        ASRock AB350M Pro4 (AM4)
    Graphics
        3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (Gigabyte)

This is honestly a strange issue, because the changes made in the PR wouldn't seem to cause this problem. Attached below is the spot that you can observe slowdowns.

test2.png (356 KB) test2.png Screenshot of first level, where the slowdown occurs SilentHell, 05/03/2019 06:59 AM
7415

History

#1 Updated by JMC4789 about 1 year ago

Are you sure there isn't anything external causing this? Different settings, maybe a bad bisect due to how sometimes drivers and whatnot will do things differently?

If you're absolutely convinced this build caused the issue, use Visual Studio, do a performance diagnostic on this build and the build before, go to your spot, and then we can look and see if anything at all changed.

As weird as your bisect is, it's not out of the realm of possibility that something weird could be going on.

#2 Updated by SilentHell about 1 year ago

I've tested this with no other external processes in the background and antivirus shut off. I'm on Nvidia's latest drivers and all of my settings have been tried at default and at 3x IR with FXAA and 16x AF. I'm unfamiliar with Visual Studio, but I'm assuming I just attach the debugger to the process and monitor changes in CPU and memory usage? If that is the case, then my memory stays consistently between 650MB and 700MB in both the 9865 and 9869 builds, and my CPU usage stayed consistently at 25%. If there is some way I can give you a log file or something else, I'd gladly oblige if you can tell me how to do it. I'm unfamiliar with programming.

#3 Updated by JMC4789 about 1 year ago

if you build Dolphin, there's an option to run with performance diagnostics in Visual Studio. You do CPU diagnostics and then it'll give you a graph. Select the part of teh graph that's affected by the slowdown and it'll give a list of functions that are using CPU time.

#4 Updated by SilentHell about 1 year ago

I'm afraid I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. But there is definitely a clear night and day difference on my end in terms of performance between these builds.

#5 Updated by JMC4789 about 1 year ago

It's alright, I'll take over then and set this up.

While I do a perf test, there's a few things you can try. What happens if you unplug all controllers in the spot? Does performance return? Physically or through the configuration menu.

#6 Updated by JMC4789 about 1 year ago

  • Status changed from New to Questionable

I did a performance diagnostic from the spot in your screenshot and have no different in performance. The things I'd check on your end are things like rumble, number of controllers plugged in, etc. Anything to do with controllers to see if they're affecting performance.

If nothing comes from that, I suggest going to https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin and learning to compile Dolphin and then I'll provide more information on how to setup a performance diagnostic. I cannot reproduce the issue, unfortunately.

#7 Updated by SilentHell about 1 year ago

I tried what you said, hotplugging in my Wii U controller adapter and the controller itself, and setting it to none via config menu, but nothing fixed the performance unfortunately. I'll look into what you suggested later this week when I have more time and see if I can run a diagnostic.

#8 Updated by SilentHell about 1 year ago

So I did some more testing (deleted all my configs) and found something interesting. So I tried playing the latest dev build again and got this error. " FIFO is overflown by GatherPipe, CPU thread is too fast!" So I disabled dual core and now I get full speed. I have no idea what this means, but it works, but I still don't know why earlier versions work with dual core.

#9 Updated by JMC4789 about 1 year ago

That'd explain it - I don't use dualcore and dualcore will randomly break.

That change isn't the one that'd break dualcore though, I think I know which one could though.

Also available in: Atom PDF