Emulator Issues #12781
Pokémon Colosseum: Colosseum Battle does not save properly across sessions due to mismatched memory card ID.
What's the problem? Describe what went wrong.
Utilizing the integrated GBA emulator, i attempted to connect to Pokémon Sapphire in order to use my team from that game in Pokémon Colosseum's "Colosseum Battle" mode. The connection goes through, my team is properly imported from the GBA game, and gameplay is playable as usual. However, if i for whatever reason close the emulation and then attempt to use the same team once again, any further attempts to save the game will result in an error message reading "The Memory Card in Slot A is not the same Memory Card used to load the save data. Please insert the original Memory Card in Slot A. Save failed!" until the emulation is reset.
The issue can be circumvented by registering your team every time you open the emulator and plan to play one of the challenges in Colosseum Battle, but this means that it is impossible to suspend a run (most notably, the notoriously long 100-battle challenge), close the emulator, and return later, as re-registering the team will clear your run data.
It is possible that savestates could circumvent this issue, but since Pokémon Colosseum has known issues with savestates breaking gci saves, i haven't tried using them.
I have tested this with Pokémon Sapphire, Leafgreen and Emerald. Both of the latter do not exhibit this issue, and by association i assume so does Firered. I do not know whether this issue happens when connecting to Pokémon Ruby.
What steps will reproduce the problem?
- Set port 2 as GBA (Integrated), with a Pokémon Sapphire save file with six Pokémon in the party
- Start Pokémon Colosseum, go to Colosseum Battle > Solo Battle > Register Pokémon
- When prompted, right click the GBA emulator and reset it.
- With the team imported, start any challenge and either clear it or save and quit
- Reset the emulation
- Enter Colosseum Battle once again and either start or continue a challenge
- All further attempts to save until emulation reset should now prompt you with the "The Memory Card in Slot A is not the same Memory Card used to load the save data. Please insert the original Memory Card in Slot A. Save failed!" message.
Is the issue present in the latest development version? For future reference, please also write down the version number of the latest development version.
Is the issue present in the latest stable version, if not, which is the first broken version?
Did not test 5.0, sorry. It was present in 5.0-15445, for what that's worth.
What are your PC specifications? (CPU, GPU, Operating System, more)
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 @ 3.70GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
OS: Windows 10 (64-bit)
16 GBs of RAM
Is there anything else that can help developers narrow down the issue? (e.g. logs, screenshots,
configuration files, savefiles, savestates)
#1 Updated by AdmiralCurtiss 9 months ago
Likely a duplicate of https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-pokémon-colosseum-mt-battle-save-issue
Can you enable the memory card code patch at Right Click in Game List -> Properties -> Patch tab and see if the issue persists?
#2 Updated by AdmiralCurtiss 9 months ago
To clarify: Colosseum's Story Mode checks if the last save file it has read matches the save file it's currently overwriting, and if that's not the case, it will complain; that patch disables that check. I was originally under the impression that this is only relevant if you 'go back in time' by loading a savestate that was made before your latest save operation, but it seems like Colosseum Mode has even more aggressive checks for memory card data...
- Status changed from New to Accepted
- Subject changed from Pokémon Colosseum: Colosseum Battle does not save properly after connecting to Pokémon Sapphire through integrated GBA emulation link to Pokémon Colosseum: Colosseum Battle does not save properly across sessions due to mismatched memory card ID.
This issue report is a bit unclear, I think I know how to rename it.