Emulator Issues #13288closed
Forecast Channel issues with RTC
Game ID? (right click the game in the game list, Properties, Info tab)
MD5 Hash? (right click the game in the game list, Properties, Verify tab, Verify Integrity button)
What's the problem? Describe what went wrong.
The Forecast Channel shows the "FORE000006" error whenever Dolphin's "Enable Custom RTC" setting is disabled. However, turning this setting on and changing the RTC to an earlier date and/or time allows the Forecast Channel to work, even keeping up to the actual current date and time. Oddly enough, the News channel works without any errors. I don't think the fact that it's currently Daylight Saving Time in my area is affecting this.
What steps will reproduce the problem?
This one's a bit long, as I add some starter info that may not be necessary to everyone that this may concern, so bear with me.
PART 1: SETUP and RTC DISABLED
1) Follow the official guide to set up RiiConnect24 for Dolphin to its entirety. (https://wii.guide/riiconnect24-dolphin.html) Ensure that you've installed at least the patched Forecast Channel and News Channel to the newly-created emulated Wii system's NAND.
2) Ensure that the "Enable Custom RTC" setting on Dolphin is disabled (Config [or "Options" tab > Configuration] > "Advanced" tab). If it is, which it should be by default, launch the Wii system menu.
3) Ensure that, after the emulated Wii system is set up, you've changed its DNS settings to connect to the official RiiConnect24 DNS address and have accepted the WC24/RC24 User Agreement. (If you don't know how to do this, here's the guide for that. https://wii.guide/riiconnect24.html#:~:text=for%20further%20assistance.-,Section%20IV%20%2D%20Connecting,-Starting%20June%2016th)
4) Open the Forecast Channel and the News Channel, one at a time, in no particular order. If the Forecast Channel gives you error "FORE000006", but the News Channel works fine, you've done everything to reproduce the first half of the problem.
PART 2: RTC ENABLED
1) Stop the emulation. Open the Advanced Config settings in Dolphin again, and enable "Enable Custom RTC". In my testing, setting the RTC to anything no less than 30 minutes before the current date and time allows it to work most of the time. Some circumstances may make this exact amount of time not work, however, so set it farther back if necessary.
2) Launch the Wii system menu again. Remember to turn WC24/RC24's Stanby Connection setting back on, as it disables on system/emulation shutdown.
3) Once again, open the Forecast Channel. If it works fine with the custom RTC, you've done everything to reproduce the second half of the problem.
Is the issue present in the latest development version? /// Is the issue present in the latest stable version? /// If the issue isn't present in the latest stable version, which is the first broken version?
I'm not using the latest development version, nor the latest stable version. I'm using the latest beta version: 5.0-19368. If this has been fixed in a later development version, do let me know.
What are your PC specifications? (CPU, GPU, Operating System, more)
Intel Core i5-12450H
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Windows 11 Home
8 GB RAM (DDR4; SODIMM; 3200MHz)
Wii System Menu 4.3U
Is there anything else that can help developers narrow down the issue? (e.g. logs, screenshots,
configuration files, savefiles, savestates)
This isn't part of the problem, but I think it's worth mentioning: If you set the custom RTC too far back in time, the News Channel won't work, showing the "NEWS000006" error. However, setting it to a reasonable time in the past, like the one I recommended earlier (roughly 30 minutes or more), should allow it to work alongside the Forecast Channel in these circumstances. I believe this is how the Forecast Channel should be operating.
Another user, DanielSeviiz, has had a similar problem in his region since the beginning of the year (https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/13137), but this is still currently unresolved. Hopefully this additional explanation and research aids for this problem to be looked into further.
Updated by jxnisnotfunny 5 months ago
OatmealDome wrote in #note-1:
Could you re-test with the latest development build? 5.0-19706 fixed an issue with Daylight Savings Time which could result in a FORE00000006 error (https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/11983).
I'm using version 5.0-19738 now. Unsurprisingly, this worked, and it explains a lot. Thank you so much!