Emulator Issues #5596closed
Load Custom Textures stuttering/lags
It's annoying that dolphin always stuttering/lags when he is loading custom textures, those stuttering/lags freeze the screen for some seconds ( What ends up causing stuttering all the time )and depending on the amount of texture and the resolution of texture, of it's loading, it can take about 7 seconds frozen or more.
It would be amazing see this issue fixed, before the, 4.0, be released. :)
Updated by NeoBrainX over 11 years ago
- Status changed from New to Accepted
- Priority set to Low
- Category set to gfx
- Relates to performance set to Yes
- Operating system N/A added
Yeah, we're doing lots of stupid stuff when loading custom textures. Some hints of what should be changed in case anyone is willing to do the work:
- SOIL_load_image creates a temporary buffer for each image file that is being loaded (and destroys it shortly after again). I doubt there's a way to prevent that without forking SOIL, but just forking it internally and adding the necessary functionality should be possible. Cookies if you actually get that functionality upstream ;)
- Apart from the overhead of redundant allocations, HiresTextures::GetHiresTex needs to copy the loaded image data to our own buffer (necessary because the buffer needs to be memory aligned)
... that should be about it. Of course, one could also fix the issue by using a different library for handling image decoding. D3DX comes to mind, although it neither does the job really well.