Emulator Issues #5666
Resident Evil Zero slows down after loading a savestate
1) Resident Evil Zero
2) After loading a savestate, the emulation speed drops by half (from about 35-40 FPS to about 17-24 FPS). If not using savestates, everything works fine.
3) I believe on earlier revisions the problem was non-existent.
1. Start game.
2. Press Shift-F1 to save
3. Press F1 to load.
5) 32-bit version of Dolphin 3.0-r776-dirty, runs under Windows XP SP3, nVidia GeForce 570.
#16 Updated by Sonicadvance1 over 8 years ago
- Status changed from New to Accepted
Those two variables need to be moved to the PowerPCState struct.
Jit.cpp and JitIL.cpp need to be updated to include the new locations.
Interpreter also needs to be updated to handle the performance counters.
Overall, it will be easy to fix, we just need someone to do it.
Anyone willing to post patches, it'll be welcomed.
#21 Updated by Sonicadvance1 over 8 years ago
- Issue type changed from Other to Bug
- Relates to performance set to Yes
- Priority set to Normal
- Category set to ppc
- Operating system N/A added
As a note, the patch didn't work, It will need to be a true fix if we want to fix the slowdowns completely. It will cause a performance hit though.
#30 Updated by JMC4789 about 7 years ago
This issue, at least for Resident Evil 4, has nothing to do with Savestates. Rather, savestates just save the performance slowdown that seems to inevitably happen after so long in these games.
If anyone else can confirm this is the behavior, I'll change the name of the issue.
#31 Updated by brocade41 over 6 years ago
I just encountered a similar issue with Resident Evil Remake. I narrowed it down to build Dolphin 3.0-629. Build 601 does not have any slowdowns. I'm able to test this issue by quickly loading Resident Evil Remake and seeing the emulation speed during the very beginning boot screens. On all versions from 3.0-629 up to 4.0+, the speed will be between 70-90% and highly variable. With Dolphin 3.0 build 601 and earlier it will be at a rock solid 100% speed. It doesn't seem to be related to save states on my end.
#38 Updated by Nameless about 5 years ago
Sorry to have to report, but this bug still exists, at least as of 4.0-9019. OS = Win7 Ultimate x64.
- Loaded up RE0 Wii version in the main hall, observed full speed 30fps.
- Saved state then immediately reloaded save state.
- Speed dropped to ~15fps, VPS also dropped ~50% to ~30vps.
I will help however I can to get this fixed, as it is extremely frustrating.
#39 Updated by ZephyrSurfer 5 months ago
The issue isn't really about savestates since the slowdown can happen without loading any savestates at all.
To reproduce the slowdown follow these steps in Resident Evil Zero in both dolphin 3.0-601 and dolphin 3.0-629(or 3.0-605 or any later version).
- Start new game.
- Open in-game menu.
- Select "Options".
- Select "Game Reset".
- Select "Yes" in the yes/no selection.
Observed results in:
3.0-601 = No slowdown occurred.
3.0-629 = The game slows down massively.
5.0-13178 = The game slows down massively.
(There may need to be a fix for savestates as well, since saving state without any slowdown should produce the same state without slowdown when loaded.)
This is broken since 3.0-605 -> https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/commit/cdace9d776e3cf60503a750254fa6e738e9eb9f5