Emulator Issues #7079
VS2013 changes cause endless memory leak when opening GCPad pane
[READ THIS: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?pid=276132 <<<
Your answers are there!]
[Leave the questions as they are and answer them in the next line]
[Remove lines written inside brackets , but nothing else]
What's the problem? Describe what went wrong in few words.
Major memory leak
What did you expect to happen instead?
Configure controller settings/actually play games.
What steps will reproduce the problem?
[Don't assume we have ever played the game and know any level names. Be as
specific as possible.]
1. Open dolphin
2. Press GCPad button
3. Watch memory go up in task manager -- also dolphin freezes
Dolphin 3.5 and 3.5-367 are old versions of Dolphin that have
known issues and bugs, so don't report issues about them and test the
latest Dolphin version first.
Which versions of Dolphin did you test on?
Started at ~200, went up and found 299 is the last one that works before it causes memory leaking
Does using an older version of Dolphin solve your issue? If yes, which
versions of Dolphin used to work?
Yes, I use 3.5 to play with friends. But the error begins at 4.0-299
What are your PC specifications? (including, but not limited to: Operating
System, CPU and GPU)
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr II Edition
Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit
Are you using the 32 or the 64 bit version of Dolphin?
Is there any other relevant information? (e.g. logs, screenshots,
[Upload big files to a hosting service and post links here!]
[Do not attach files to this issue. Upload them to another site and
link here. Use imgur.com for images and pastie.org for logs.]
#2 Updated by pauldacheez about 6 years ago
- Status changed from New to Accepted
Seems to be a regression from the VS2013 changes, since there's nothing else that's after 291 and before 298 that would touch any code used by the GCPad pane. (Changing compilers affects all of the code, often causing minor issues, so this isn't surprising.)
Does it still explode if you don't have any controllers plugged in?
#3 Updated by Anonymous about 6 years ago
I think it will require a proper dump of the process at the time of the leak in order to debug, which might be challenging to obtain unless you're familiar with windows debugging.
we can set it up such that I debug your dolphin.exe remotely:
#4 Updated by Anonymous about 6 years ago
So, to create a good dump for this:
(This assumes you have gflags (part of debugging tools for windows), and your dolphin binary is called dolphin.exe)
* open cmd as admin
press windows key, type "cmd", press ctrl+shift+enter, press alt+y
* enable usermode stack trace:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x86\gflags.exe" /i dolphin.exe +ust
* run dolphin and trigger the leak
* create a dump
open task manager, right click on dolphin and "create dump file"
* The dump should be in %localappdata%\Temp\, upload it or send it to me somehow
- turn off UST when done! "c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x86\gflags.exe" /i dolphin.exe -ust
#14 Updated by knuckles500 about 6 years ago
Hey there. I just noticed this issue report now, but it seems that we both have the same exact issue going on. Have you looked at this thread?
For me, the problem was that I had a duplicate entry for a game controller under Device Manager. One entry was using an older version of the driver than the other. Previous versions of Dolphin never had a problem with this, it was only until the VS2013 changes that it became a problem. And as you said, I encountered the same issues at the same exact spots (GCPad, Wiimote, and game start up).
I fixed it by disabling the entry of the my game controller under device manager that was using the old driver. After that, everything worked as expected.
I hope this also applies to you.
#15 Updated by mike_edwards15 almost 6 years ago
Hey everyone, super late reply. I just tried the last two fixes up above^ and none of them seemed to work. I'd really like to use a stable version so I can play smash with my buddies, but I've been using 3.5.
More updated information, I at first thought it had to do with my being on Windows 8.1, but earlier today I installed Windows 7, and it still didn't work. I have a feeling it's hardware compatibility, here's the list: http://prntscr.com/3yjj1h
Any further questions, please ask.