Emulator Issues #8115
Disc Channel displays wrong game if the disc is changed when emulation is not running
- System Menu installed to NAND
- Two disc-based Wii games from the same region as the System Menu
Steps to reproduce:
- Set game 1 as Default ISO, then start the System Menu |OR| start the System Menu, then choose Change Disc on game 1 in the game list.
- Open the Disc Channel. The banner for game 1 will be displayed.
- Press Start. The game will be launched.
- After the game has started (it doesn't matter how long it has been running), stop emulation by closing the emulation window or by pressing the Stop button. Do not exit Dolphin.
- Double-click on game 2 in the game list (or launch it in some other way). Dolphin will start emulating game 2 without launching the System Menu.
- When game 2 is running, press the Home button on a connected Wiimote, then select Wii Menu and answer Yes.
- Open the Disc Channel.
The banner for game 2 is displayed. Pressing Start launches game 2.
The banner for game 1 is displayed. Pressing Start crashes Dolphin.
- If game 1 is a Wii game and game 2 is from a different region than the System Menu, the message "Unable to read the disc" will be displayed as intended.
- If game 1 is a GC game (it won't launch properly, but it can be used for this anyway), game 2 will be displayed and launched correctly, even if game 2 is from the wrong region!
4.0-1953 (first version where Disc Channel works)
#3 Updated by magumagu9 over 6 years ago
Oh... then it's probably just our garbage BS2 emulation. :) I mean, if someone is really interested, this probably isn't too hard to fix, but it's probably nothing interesting; I would guess we're just skipping updating some cache when we skip the system menu.
#4 Updated by JosJuice over 6 years ago
Launching game 1, going to the Home Menu (the one you get with the Home button, not the actual Wii Menu), changing the disc to game 2 and then going to the Wii Menu will lead to the same result as following the steps in the issue report. I assume that this rules out Dolphin's code that gets run when launching games from the game list?
#7 Updated by JosJuice over 6 years ago
skidau: It happens with Change Disc too, so it isn't Default ISO specifically.
@magumagu: I tested it now on my vWii, and it works as expected. The game that is inserted is always the one that shows up. If this bug had been on real Wiis, I think people would've noticed that it could be used to boot games from other regions.
#10 Updated by BhaaL about 5 years ago
Guessing it has to do with
CWII_IPC_HLE_Device_es::m_ContentFile not being set by a boot using the game list. A call to either
CWII_IPC_HLE_Device_es::LoadWAD (which might not be an appropriate name then) or
DVDInterface::ChangeDisc) at the right time could fix this already; but my random testing in a half-asleep state only got me to kill dolphin in a spectacular way :^)
#13 Updated by Pikachu025 over 2 years ago
This also happens when you:
- Set game A as the default ISO.
- Launch System Menu.
- Launch Game A.
- Stop emulation.
- Set game B as the default ISO.
- Launch System Menu.
Game A's banner still shows up in the disc channel.
Are we maybe missing some DVD drive reset command or similar on boot?
#17 Updated by JosJuice over 1 year ago
- Fixed in set to 5.0-11476
- Status changed from Accepted to Fixed