Emulator Issues #8351
GameCube Service Disc-Controller Test fails
US GameCube Service Disc
What's the problem? Describe what went wrong in few words.
Results in "SI:Unknown command (0x43)" error from Dolphin when the test starts, and controller test fails. Additionally the "Press the A button to continue." message at the tests end may be mispositioned.
What did you expect to happen instead?
No error to be produced by Dolphin and test to succeed.
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Select Individual Tests
2. Select Accessory Tests
3. Select Controller Test
4. See "SI:Unknown command (0x43)" error
5. Follow test instructions to end
6. Observer Failed message, and "Press the A button to continue." misaligned with black box it should presumably appear in.
Dolphin 3.5 and 3.5-367 are old versions of Dolphin that have
known issues and bugs, so don't report issues about them and test the
latest Dolphin version first.
Which versions of Dolphin did you test on?
Does using an older version of Dolphin solve your issue? If yes, which
versions of Dolphin used to work?
What are your PC specifications? (including, but not limited to: Operating
System, CPU and GPU)
Windows 7, Intel Core i7-960, nVidia GeForce 580
Is there any other relevant information? (e.g. logs, screenshots,
#5 Updated by skidau almost 6 years ago
- Status changed from New to Invalid
The controller test passes if a genuine GC pad, an Official WiiU GC adapter and Dolphin Direct Connect is used. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with the radius and/or circle-square setting. For the test to pass, the extreme X/Y co-ordinates have to be 100 and the diagonals have to be 75. On my PS2 gamepad, I would have to set the Dolphin radius setting to:
100 / 127 * 100 = 78.7 or 79.
But the controller stick gate on my PS2 isn't the same as the one on a GC pad and the diagonals reach 100 in the test. This causes the test to fail anyway.
As this is a settings and/or controller hardware problem, not a emulator problem, this issue is invalid.
#8 Updated by kolano almost 6 years ago
OK, I guess if we want to declare this a controller settings problems I want a bit more detail on if there are settings that can be changed to resolve it. If there are then I'm fine with this being invalid, if not then it seems there may be some work left to do.
#11 Updated by skidau almost 6 years ago
The radius setting of the GC pad main stick will fix this for you. To determine the right value to enter, go into the Controller test and push the stick as far right as it can go and record the X value. Use this formula:
100 / X * 100 = value to enter into radius setting.
The other part of the problem is that there needs to be a way to limit the diagonals to a value of 75 in the test. This emulates the stick "gate" which is the dark gray plastic part at the bottom of this picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/GameCube_Analog_Stick.jpg Note that the GC pad's gate is not perfectly round. It is an octagon.
#12 Updated by kolano almost 6 years ago
Thanks for the further info, skidau.
Ia there another issue related to the gate emulation. Again, I don't want to be a pain, but it's an issue that may subtlety effect a lot of games. The failure here at least provides a clear indicator of the emulation problem (i.e. even if it doesn't apply to the real GC controller.).
Further on the (0x43) error...
#14 Updated by kaosjr over 1 year ago
I've tested it again with both a native GC controller and an XBOX One S controller through Bluetooth. Seems like the native controller works fine and passes the test, but I couldn't get the sticks to work properly. Seems the range of the sticks doesn't line up with the range of the sticks on a native controller. Max value on a native controller was 101, whereas the max value with my XBOX controller was 83. I tried using the recalibration tool, which didn't improve anything either (I calibrated both before and after the video).
Here's a short youtube clip:
It did manage to pass with a native controller, but looks like emulated controllers are still broken. The SI command error doesn't seem to be present anymore however, I tried multiple times and never had it show up.